Terms and Conditions
I charge an hourly rate which enables research to be tailored to your requirements. The fee will be my current hourly rate plus any extra costs (such as travel costs and any additional expenses).
- My hourly rate includes the time spent carrying out research, analysis, report writing, constructing family trees, and communicating with you by telephone, email or letter.
- I charge travel costs (bus and/or train fare) for research carried out at any record office.
- The additional expenses include the following:
- The cost of buying birth, marriage or death certificates – currently £9.25 from the General Register Office or £10 from the local register office.
- The cost of copying or downloading any relevant documents or images (these are charged at the rate set by the record office).
- Stationary and postage costs involved in printing documents and sending them to you.
- Any other costs will be agreed with you before proceeding. Initial assessment: Before research commences I will need to know the following,
- What you would like me to research.
- Details of what you know already including any dates or places of birth, marriage and death.
Details of research that has already been carried out.
I will then confirm in writing my understanding of the research to be undertaken and ensure agreement with you before commencing any work. We will agree an initial number of hours of research to be carried out (which can be reviewed at the end of that period) and an estimated cost (including any travel costs). I will also indicate the start date for your research.
Please note that my research is based on information provided by you and I cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies in the information initially submitted.
- A 50% deposit is required before any work commences. Any delay in paying the deposit will delay the research being carried out.
- I will invoice you for the outstanding balance upon completion of the requested research.
- Upon receipt of your cleared payment I will email and/or post your research report and
- any relevant documents. Any postage costs must be paid before I post any documents.
- I accept payment in Sterling only and by the following methods,
– Cheque made payable to Tony Wait and sent to 11 Pitt Mill Gardens, Hucclecote, Gloucester.GL3 3ND.
– Bank transfer – account details will be provided when payment is requested. Please ensure you pay any transfer fees.
– PayPal – a 6% surcharge will be added to all payments to cover PayPal charges.
I retain the right to withhold documents until full payment has been received.
Please be aware that there is no guarantee that information will be found. Some records may be missing or they may have been destroyed. In addition, it may not be possible to identify an individual with certainty. Where research is unsuccessful I will provide details about research that has been carried out. Even if I do not find anything I still have to charge for the time spent on the research.
Tony Wait October 2017